Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ring in the New

I love New year's Eve, I always have a great time. I always work that night (did I mention I own a restaurant called Ursula's Wine Bar & Cafe in beautiful downtown White Bear Lake, MN). It's one of the funnest nights we have. The chef prepares a 5 course price fixe and we pair wines with each course. I spend the night grazing and sipping. I started my night with some ahi tuna tartare. It was great, especially with Jean-Noel Haton Brut Rose. I have a special place in my taste buds for sparkling roses. The Haton is wonderfully clean and seductive. I moved on to a spinach and ricotta ravioli with saffron lobster sauce. Chef Andrew Whalen makes great ravioli and the lobster was a treat. The wine I paired with it was the Ken Wright Carter Vineyard Pinot Noir. It was a little reductive on the nose but it blew off and tasted divine, it was powerful yet demure. I finished my evening with duck breast on a golden chanterelle risotto. I love duck and this dish was marvelous, especially with the risotto. The combination was stunning and I was lucky enough to have a bottle of Turley Pesenti Zin open, wow. It was big without being over the top and the briary, brambly flavors matched the duck perfectly. I finished dinner with a raspberry truffle from the Backdoor Candy Store here in town. Paired with Chateau Reynella Old Cave 12 Year Tawny Port there was no place epicurean left to go. Cheers and happy new year.

No comments: