Friday, January 30, 2009

I Love My Job

I got a tough job. I talk to people, pour wine, somebody makes dinner for me every night, I have to answer the phone and people make me try wine. I know you feel real sorry for me. Ursula's Wine Bar & Cafe has a corkage fee of $7. When people bring in their own wines we charge the fee. Quite often people ask me to sample their wines. In a 2 week period in January I had the privilege to try the following wines. Auberg Pinot Noir 2006, Russian River Valley-delicious, Walnut Block Sauvignon Blanc 2007, from New Zealand it is not over the top but refined and elegant, Sterling Syrah from Napa, an 04 that was tasting wonderfully, Geyser Peak Cab 02 which was very nice, Elyse Korte Ranch Zin 2006 that was fabulous, big rich and luscious, Seghesio Old Vines Zin 02 which still had charm and fresh fruit. The highlights of my vinorific wanderings were a 2005 Clio Jumilla from Spain, the grape is monastrall and this baby was big and juicy and chewy and stunning. A customer brought in a 1998 Bryant Family Cab. Bryant is a cult wine, I've never seen one and I'm glad I got to try one, it was delicious. Joseph Phelps Insignia 2001 was a delight, I've never been disappointed in an Insignia. We did have a barker in the group, a 1998 Pine Ridge Howell Mountain Cab that was weak and flabby, it sadly had no zip or zing. I know you feel badly about all the on the job hardships I endure but I'm willing to take one for the team.

No comments: