Sunday, December 28, 2008

Home for the Holidays

Family and food is a great way to spend a day or evening. Christmas Eve found me cooking, something I usually try to worm my way out of. I did a pork tenderloin with a cherry sauce. It was right out of Maria Sinskey's cookbook (husband Rob owns Sinskey Vineyards in Napa). It was fabulous along with the supporting cast of meatballs, cheezy potatoes, jello (I love jello), green bean casserole, carrots, cinnamon rolls and pecan or pumpkin pie. I am salivating just writing about it. The wine I selected for the feast was a Dare Cabernet Franc. Dare is a second label for Viader. The wine was gorgeous, it was full in the mouth, hints of violet on the nose and a big rich flavor that lasted almost forever.
Christmas Day was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and it was nice enough to go out for a cross country ski, to build up an appetite for dinner. Dinner is a family favorite, cannelloni. Mom uses a Spanish recipe. It's made with ground pork and beef with spinach and a light cream sauce. With 3 brothers, 2 sons and a nephew dinner with cannelloni is more like a feeding frenzy. It was delicious. We had an Eos Zinfandel that was perfect, nice fruit, some pepper and hints of leather. I left a happy camper. Life is good in this winter wonderland.

1 comment:

Baz said...

I'll want to try that EOS Zin next time we're at Ursula's

Upkeep