Sunday, April 5, 2009

Birthdays Come But Once a Year

As is customary, my wife had her birthday this year. We were both working at Ursula's so I didn't have to spend big bucks on a huge night out. The subdued affair was sublime yet thoughtful. Dinner was simple she had haddock and I had pasta. The haddock was pan seared and served with asparagus and risotto. It was lovely. My pasta was penne with garlic sausage and a little balsamic, keep it simple. For a birthday I think bubbles are always appropriate. We opened a split of Gruet Blanc de Noir. It's made in New Mexico and is wonderful. Crisp and clean, with teeny tiny bubbles. I marvelous reminder of summer on an unseasonably cool March night. We went home after work and watched a Thin Man movie with a bottle of O'Shaugnessy Cabernet. This is a stellar cab. Howell Mountain fruit (which I adore), a beautiful close to a delightful day.

No comments: